This is one I’ve kept off the meal plans until now, but I’m going to challenge you to give it a try next week. I know kale can be a tough sell as an anchor to a beverage, but the fruit sweetens it up and hides the taste of the kale. It really is amazingly good and packed with all sorts of super healthy bits. I would make one of these every morning if it weren’t for neighbors! We live dense urban style in the Bay Area and I can’t imagine my fellow apartment dwellers would be too excited to hear our blender every morning at 6. So I save this wondrous, nutrient-packed treat for afternoons or weekend indulgences. It’s funny, when I think into the future, I hope for a yard for the dog and some space to make noisy smoothies in the morning. That’s how good these are. Next time you’re making a Greens Quiche or something else that requires a little kale to be on-hand, give it a try. You can also use all sorts of other leafy greens like spinach, chard, or collard greens. It will leave you feeling fresh and energized.
- 3-4 kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 apple, cored and chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 banana
- 1 cup or more rice milk (and water, to desired consistency)
- pinch of cinnamon
- In a blender, puree the kale, carrots and fruit with milk and water until smooth. Add the lemon and cinnamon and continue to blend until smooth. Continue to add nondairy milk or water until you reach desired consistency. Enjoy! And next time try to mix it up a bit: use a different frozen fruit or throw in some spinach. Just about anything will do.