I know she’s a serious omnivore, but I adore the Barefoot Contessa. I love that she always reminds us to use good olive oil and she’s just a delight to have in the kitchen. This is yet another of her salad recipes, straight from the Hamptons, naturally.
- 1 cup hard winter wheatberries
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup finely diced red onion (1 onion)
- 6 tablespoons good olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 scallions, minced, white and green parts
- 1/2 red bell pepper, small diced
- 1 carrot, small diced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the wheatberries and 3 cups of boiling salted water in a saucepan and cook, uncovered, over low heat for approximately 45 minutes, or until they are soft. Drain.
- Saute the red onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the remaining 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm wheatberries, sauteed onions, scallions, red bell pepper, carrot, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes for the wheatberries to absorb the sauce. Season, to taste, and serve at room temperature.