This warm and creamy skillet spinach dip is exactly what vegan comfort food should taste like. It’s thick, velvety, and scoops wonderfully onto chips and sliced veggies.
- 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 Tbsp. vegan butter or olive oil
- ¼ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. whole-wheat flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 1 5-oz. container non-dairy plain, unsweetened yogurt (I used Kite Hill)
- 1 8-oz. package chive non-dairy cream cheese (I used Kite Hill)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- To serve: tortilla chips, pita bread, or sliced veggies
- Unwrap the frozen spinach and place it in an 8-inch skillet along with a tablespoon of water. Warm over medium-low heat until completely thawed, about 12 minutes, breaking it up with a spatula periodically. Remove the pan from heat and drain the spinach. When cool enough to handle, squeeze the spinach to remove as much water as possible. Set spinach aside.
- Wipe the skillet clean and add a tablespoon of vegan butter or olive oil. Melt over medium-low heat; then add the onion and garlic. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until soft and fragrant. Stir in the flour and cook a couple of minutes more.
- Add the yogurt, cream cheese, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper to the skillet along with the spinach. Continue to cook until the ingredients are well combined and the spinach dip is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the spinach dip in the skillet or transfer it to a bowl and serve with tortilla chips, pita, or sliced veggies.
Nutritional information was calculated based on Kite Hill products. Data does not include chips or veggies for serving.