This soup is perfection in the fall—from color to flavor, it exudes warmth. The basic preparation is so simple, but it dresses up beautifully with a few fresh herbs or homemade croutons.
- 2 tsp (5 g) curry powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb (680 g) medium carrots, trimmed, peeled, sliced lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch (25-mm) pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions, quartered and sliced in 1-inch (25-mm) chunks
- 1 (15-oz [425-g]) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups (470 ml) water or broth
- Half a lemon, juiced
- Fresh cilantro, for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Mix the curry powder, salt and olive oil together in the bottom of a large bowl. Add the carrots and onions to the bowl. Toss to coat, and then pour it all out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until the vegetables are very tender and just beginning to caramelize, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and transfer them to a large pot. Add coconut milk and water (or broth). Let simmer for just a few minutes. Then, working in batches, transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot, warm and add lemon juice and fresh cilantro before serving.
Nut-free, soy-free, gluten-free