Tired of cookies? Me too! Let’s try something that looks a little fancier, but is so simple. Start to finish, like 15 minutes. No joking. The hard part is waiting for it chill in the refrigerator. Tick-tock. Rich and chocolatey just waiting for you. Luckily there’s usually a spatula or a bowl to lick until then.
You can try to make this recipe with plain old vegan chocolate chips, but I think they’re a little too sweet. What works best is a rich, dark chocolate. Be sure to check the labels, but usually Newman’s, Chuao, Endangered Species, and Theo are safe bets. But if your audience happens to be a brood of unruly, chocolate-inhaling four-year-olds, good old chocolate chips will get ‘er done. No sense in getting all frilly for them. This recipe is made with peppermint extract, but you could substitute any flavor you like—orange, almond, cinnamon, coffee. Check out J.R. Watkins for some crazy extract flavors. Top with fresh mint, a little crushed candy cane or even a dollop of whipped cashew cream. And serious ta-das are in order.
Chocolate Peppermint Mousse
About 15 minutes to make plus an hour to chill
- 12 oz. dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 12 oz. extra firm silken tofu
- ¼ cup plain soy milk
- 2 tbsp. agave syrup or maple syrup, optional depending on how sweet your chocolate is
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. peppermint extract, or more to taste
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate. Put them in a microwave-safe bowl for about 45 seconds, stir with a rubber spatula and return for another 30 seconds, sir and repeat until just melted. Be sure to check the chocolate often, to avoid burning it in the microwave. Once melted, remove from heat and let cool for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crumble the tofu into a blender. Add the soy milk, agave and extracts. Puree until completely smooth.
- Add the chocolate to the tofu and blend until well combined, using the spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender.
- Transfer the mousse to an air tight container or several small dishes covered with plastic wrap and let chill for about an hour.