These Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches, packed with dark chocolate and toasted coconut, are sure to be the most popular dessert this summer!
- 3 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks
- flake sea salt
Optional for Ice Cream Sandwich rolling:
- mini vegan chocolate chips
- chopped pistachios
- chopped walnuts
- crushed graham crackers
For the Ice Cream
For the Cookies
- Combine dry flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
In the large bowl of a mixer with the paddle attachment in place, add the butter, coconut oil, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Cream on medium speed until it’s nice and fluffy. This might take 3+ minutes. Then add the applesauce and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- With the mixer running on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture. Mix until just incorporated. Add the chocolate chips and mix in. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 24 hours.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and let it soften a bit. Line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 350 F. Using a ice cream scoop, scoop about 1/3 cup of dough and form into a ball. Place on the parchment paper and flatten with your fingers or the back of a measuring cup. Sprinkle lightly with flake salt.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Leave your ice cream out to soften for 30-60 minutes, depending on how warm your house is. It should be perfectly scoopable.
- Sandwich one hearty scoop of ice cream between two cookies. If you want to roll then sides in a topping, this is your chance. Repeat until you run out of cookies or ice cream. Return to the freezer to firm up until you’re ready to serve.
For the cookie recipe, you’ll only need 24 cookies. You can save the remaining dough in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Keywords: ice cream sandwich, vegan ice cream sandwich, vegan dessert, dairy-free dessert