These vegan sugar cookies are everything you want in a soft, chewy dessert. With less than 10 ingredients, you’ll be amazed at how quickly they come together and how simply delicious they taste.
- ½ cup vegan butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- ½ banana, mashed (about ¼ cup)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Combine the softened vegan butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the mashed banana and vanilla and increase speed to medium-high. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes more, until the banana is fully incorporated and the batter is lump-free.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place a fine mesh strainer over the mixing bowl and sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt into the wet ingredients. Stir batter with a wooden spoon until a soft ball of dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and freeze for 15 minutes. If the dough is too sticky to handle, put it back in the freezer for 5 minutes more.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop small, heaping tablespoon-sized pieces of the dough and roll them into balls between your hands. Drop them on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart and sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar. Use the bottom of a drinking glass to slightly flatten each cookie.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are just barely beginning to turn golden. Cool on the baking sheet for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Enjoy cookies immediately (recommended) or store in an airtight container.