Dust off that ice cream maker and get ready for summer with our homemade, dairy-free toasted coconut ice cream. This fabulous vegan ice cream is so simple to make and packed full of rich, natural coconut flavor. Perfect for summer barbecues with friends or a pack of wild kids running around the yard — take your pick.
- If you haven’t already, be sure to chill your insulated bowl for the ice cream maker overnight.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, toast unsweetened coconut until golden brown, keeping a close eye to avoid burning. Transfer to a bowl to cool while you make your ice cream base.
- In a blender, add the coconut milk, coconut cream, monkfruit, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and vodka. Blend for several minutes until well incorporated and slightly fluffy. If you have a Vitamix, this will be less than 2 minutes, but if you have a regular blender, give it closer to 3–4 minutes. You want the monkfruit (or sugar) to be dissolved.
- Transfer mixture to your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. Add the toasted coconut a few minutes before the churn is complete. I have a basic Cuisinart ice cream maker and I let my ice cream churn for about 15-20 minutes in total. The ice cream will still be quite soft to the scoop.
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container. Anything from Tupperware to loaf pans will do. If you do go with a loaf pan, but sure to cover your ice cream with parchment or plastic wrap. Let chill over night for perfectly scoop-able ice cream.
Keywords: ice cream