- 1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar or evaporated cane juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch square pan.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar. Make three holes in the dry ingredients, one large and two small.
- Add the vanilla to the first small hole, the vinegar to the second and the oil to the large hole. Then pour the water over everything and stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is springy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack, then cut and serve.
- Keep at room temperature, wrapped airtight, for up to 3 days; refrigerate after that.
- Serving Size: 9
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 22
- Sodium: 269
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0