These Cauliflower Tikka Masala Tacos are vibrant, flavorful, and rich. Heat up your tortillas on the stove, add rice and cauliflower, and top everything off with fresh cilantro for a fun twist on taco night.
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (plain, unsweetened)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
For the tikka masala sauce:
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 2-inch chunk of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems, chopped (plus more for serving)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or agave
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk (from a can of full fat coconut milk)
- 3 cups cooked rice or quinoa
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Preheat your oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. If you’re serving the tacos with rice or quinoa, start making it now.
- Whisk the non-dairy milk, flour, salt, and water together in a medium bowl. Dip each cauliflower floret in the batter and coat all sides. Place the battered cauliflower on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until golden and slightly crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the tikka masala paste. Combine the onion, tomato paste, ginger, cilantro, garlic, paprika, garam masala, maple syrup, jalapeño, lime juice, and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the tikka masala paste and saute for 5 to 7 minutes, until fragrant and slightly bubbly around the edges. Stir in the tomato sauce and coconut milk and continue simmering for another 10 minutes or so. If you like a super smooth sauce, transfer it to a high speed blender and blend for a minute before pouring the sauce back into the skillet.
- When the cauliflower is done, transfer it to the tikka masala sauce and gently toss to coat.
- Warm the tortillas on your stovetop. Add some rice to each tortilla followed by a few saucy cauliflower pieces. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 taco