These Hawaiian BBQ Tempeh Kabobs are the perfect combination of sweet, tangy, and savory. Swap out the peppers for your favorite veggies and make these a meal the whole family will love!
- 8 oz. tempeh, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- ½ green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- Cooked quinoa, brown rice, or couscous, for serving (optional)
- Fill a pot with two inches of water and bring it to a boil. Put the tempeh pieces in pot, cover, and remove from heat. Allow the tempeh to steam for 5 minutes. Steaming the tempeh before marinating makes it taste less bitter.
- Pour a half-cup of barbecue sauce into a shallow dish. Transfer the tempeh pieces to the dish and dredge them through the sauce, until coated on all sides. Cover and put the tempeh in the fridge to marinate for at least two hours. If you remember, flip the pieces every hour so the tempeh soaks up as much flavor as possible.
- When you’re ready to eat, preheat your grill to medium and rub the grate with olive oil. If you’re using wood skewers (as opposed to metal), run them under water or soak them for a few minutes to prevent them from burning. Then, thread the tempeh, green pepper, red pepper, red onion, and pineapple onto each skewer.
- Place the kabobs on the grill and brush the tops with some of the remaining barbecue sauce. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, rotating and brushing each side with the barbecue sauce until the tempeh is slightly blackened and the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the kabobs to a plate and garnish with sliced green onion. Serve with cooked quinoa, brown rice, or couscous if desired.
Barbecue sauce can be loaded with sugar and fillers. Look for a brand free of high fructose corn syrup. I used Trader Joes' Organic Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce and Marinade.
Nutrition information does not include quinoa, brown rice, or couscous.