Our hearty vegetable chili is warm, comforting, and the perfect transition dish into fall. Serve each bowl with a dollop of vegan sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh basil for the full effect.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 ears of corn, cut off the cob (about 1 cup)
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, roughly chopped (or 2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes)
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 16-oz. can low-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 16-oz. can low-sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups of water
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- Fresh basil
- Vegan sour cream (or plain non-dairy yogurt)
- Warm the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic along with the salt, chili powder, and cumin. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Add the corn, tomatoes, zucchini, pinto beans, kidney beans, water, and tomato paste to the pot and stir. Turn your stove to medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until the chili has thickened and reached your desired consistency. Taste and season with additional salt (I used another ½ teaspoon).
- Turn off the stove; squeeze the lime juice into the chili and stir. Ladle the chili into bowls and garnish with fresh basil and vegan sour cream, if desired.
Nutrition information does not include vegan sour cream or basil.