Adapted From: Chez Panisse Vegetables by Alice Waters
This simple and delicious eggplant pasta recipe is easy enough to make any night of the week!
- 1 large eggplant
- olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced (about 2 cups sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 handful basil leaves, chiffonade or chopped
- 1 handful parsley leaves, chopped
- kosher salt
- 1 lb. penne
- sherry vinegar
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Cut the eggplants into cubes, about 3/4 inch, toss with a little olive oil and spread them out in a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast for 25 minutes or until the eggplant is just browned.
- Start boiling the water for the pasta. When the water is ready, cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While the eggplant and pasta is cooking, heat a large sauté pan with the olive oil and onions over medium heat. Sauté the onions until caramelized. Once they’re nice and brown, add the garlic and cook for just a minute, and then add a splash or two of sherry vinegar to the pan. Add the eggplant, tomato sauce, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Heat the sauce to simmering. Drain the pasta, add it to the tomato sauce pan, and toss gently. Finally, add the basil and half the parsley to the pan.
- Serve the pasta with a little sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Keywords: pasta, easy, eggplant