- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the chili pepper flakes, salt, and cumin. Saute until fragrant, another minute or so. Now add the tomato paste and stir to combine the ingredients.
- Pour in the vegetable broth along with the diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and peanut butter. Stir to fully combine. Bring the soup to a simmer, then reduce the heat slightly to maintain a gentle simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the diced apple and coconut milk to the soup and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat and stir in the kale and lime juice. Taste the soup and adjust the flavors to taste (I added a pinch more salt).
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with chopped peanuts, cilantro, and more chili pepper flakes. Serve with crackers, rice, or a piece of naan for maximum coziness.
Nutrition info does not include peanuts for topping, crackers, rice, or bread.