Our Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup is like a warm hug for your taste buds. It has all the creamy goodness you want from soup without any actual cream!
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces, divided (save a few florets for garnish)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt (plus more to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Combine the cashews, shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, 1 cup of the broccoli, and water in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, cover the pot, and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes. Do not drain!
- Transfer the veggies along with the cooking water to a high-speed blender or food processor. Add the salt, garlic, Dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Blend until very smooth and adjust seasonings to taste (I added ½ teaspoon of salt).
- Return the soup to the pot and turn to low heat. Pour in the low-sodium vegetable broth and stir slowly to incorporate. Add the remaining 3 cups of broccoli to the soup and cover the pot. Simmer over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the broccoli is tender and the soup has thickened a bit.
- To serve, ladle the vegan broccoli cheddar soup into bowls and garnish with a few broccoli florets.