Our Vegan Mexican Lasagna is layered with soft tortillas, creamy refried beans, and veggies from your garden (or your pantry). It’s a great meal prep recipe since it freezes well, and it’s ideal for feeding a crowd!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 15-oz. can of refried beans (make sure they’re vegetarian)
- 1 15-oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained (or 5 to 6 fresh tomatoes, diced)
- 1 15-oz. can of corn, drained, divided
- 1 4-oz. can diced green chiles
- ¾ cup enchilada sauce
- 4 green onions, chopped, plus more for topping
- 12 taco-sized tortillas
- 1 cup vegan cheese (optional)
- Fresh cilantro and avocado, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the spices and cook 30 seconds more. Then add in the refried beans and stir to fully combine.
- Add the black beans, diced tomatoes, 1 cup of the corn, diced green chiles, and the green onion to the skillet, followed by the enchilada sauce. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Spray a 9×13 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray or rub the bottom and sides with olive oil. Place two tortillas on the bottom of the baking dish; they’ll overlap in the middle just slightly. Cut a third tortilla into small triangles to fill in any gaps. Don’t worry, it doesn’t need to be perfect!
- Add a heaping cup of the bean mixture to the dish and spread into an even layer. Repeat with another layer of tortillas followed by another cup of bean mixture. In the end, you should have four layers of tortilla and four layers of beans (the very top layer should be the bean mixture). Sprinkle with vegan cheese, if using, and cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake the Mexican Lasagna for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly around the edges. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining corn and green onion over the top. Garnish with fresh cilantro and sliced avocado just before serving.