This Vegan Skillet Lasagna is savory, creamy, and delicious. I hope it becomes a holiday favorite at your family’s dinner table like it has at mine!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 24-oz. jar pasta sauce
- 1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 box whole uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 batch vegan mozzarella (recipe follows)
- Fresh basil, for topping
- 1 12-oz. package extra-firm silken tofu
- 3 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. agave nectar (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. tapioca starch
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- To make the vegan mozzarella, drain the tofu and press between a few layers of paper towels to remove as much water as possible. Add the tofu to the bowl of a food processor or blender along with the lemon juice, salt, agave nectar, nutritional yeast, and tapioca starch. Blend until creamy and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Warm a tablespoon of olive oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet (or larger) over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the red bell pepper and mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms cook down to about half their volume, another 5 minutes. Add the garlic and spinach; season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until the spinach has wilted, about a minute.
- Pour the pasta sauce and crushed tomatoes into the skillet. Add the broken lasagna noodles and gently stir to coat them in the sauce. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to medium low. You want to see a few bubbles in the sauce around the edges, but the mixture shouldn’t be boiling. Continue to simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until the lasagna noodles are al dente. Remember to stir every couple of minutes to prevent the noodles from sticking to the bottom of the skillet. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add scoops of vegan mozzarella to the top of the lasagna (you might not use it all) and pop the skillet in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. When done, the noodles should be completely cooked. Serve warm with fresh basil, if desired.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 748.4 mg
- Fat: 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.9 g
- Fiber: 8.9 g
- Protein: 14.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg