- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, bruised and sliced
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup shallot, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 Thai chiles, thinly sliced (or swap for serrano peppers), plus more for garnish
- 2 15-oz. cans of full-fat coconut milk
- 1½ cups mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- Small handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
For the rice:
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Combine the vegetable broth, lemongrass, ginger, shallot, and Thai chiles in a deep skillet or soup pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the rice. Combine the rice and water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat, and continue to cook for 15 minutes, until the water is fully absorbed.
- Strain the solid ingredients from the broth and return the broth to the pot. Add the coconut milk, mushrooms, cherry tomato, and salt. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Taste the soup and adjust the flavors if needed - it should be creamy, salty, and slightly sour. Add a few slices of Thai chile back to the pot if you’d like your soup to be a bit spicier.
- To serve, add some cooked rice to a bowl and push it to one side. Ladle the soup into the remaining half. Garnish with more fresh cilantro and a lime wedge.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 477
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 1082.4 mg
- Fat: 36.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Protein: 6.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg