This Vegan Vodka Sauce with Penne is our take on tangy, sweet, dairy-free vodka sauce! It comes together quickly so you can get dinner on the table ASAP.
- 1 pound of penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound of tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup vodka
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ cup raw cashews
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the penne and cook until al dente. Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until soft and fragrant, 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, vodka, water, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and maple syrup. Turn the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vodka cooks off, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Carefully transfer the vegan vodka sauce to your blender and add the cashews. Blend until creamy and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. This may take longer if you don’t have a high speed blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec. Taste the sauce and adjust the flavors to your liking (I added a pinch more salt).
- Pour the vegan vodka sauce over the cooked penne and toss to coat. Enjoy warm.
Keywords: Vegan Vodka Sauce, vegan pasta recipe