Roasted garlic adds wonderful depth to these vegan mashed potatoes and pairs so nicely with the truffle oil. Make them the traditional way or bust out your Instant Pot to free up stovetop space.
- 2 heads of garlic
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 cup plain non-dairy milk (unsweetened)
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. truffle oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Carefully peel the outermost layer of the garlic heads, keeping the cloves attached at the bottom. Use a sharp knife to slice off the very tips of each clove and drizzle with olive oil. Use your hands or a brush to coat the heads completely.
- Place the garlic cloves in a loaf pan and cover it with aluminum foil. This method roasts and steams the garlic cloves at once. Roast for 40 minutes, until the garlic is lightly golden and soft. Remove the garlic from the oven and set it aside to cool.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into quarters. Put the potatoes in a large stockpot and cover with at least an inch of water. Add a dash of salt and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. When done, the potatoes should be very easily pierced with a knife (see notes for Instant Pot method).
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Add the non-dairy milk, vegan butter, salt, pepper, and truffle oil.
- When the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze each clove from the bottom to release it from the peel. Add the roasted garlic to the bowl with the potatoes.
- Use a potato masher or an electric mixer to whip the potatoes until fluffy and smooth. Mix in the fresh thyme and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve warm with vegan gravy or a slab of vegan butter.
To make these vegan mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot, peel the potatoes and slice them into quarters. Put the potatoes in the Instant Pot and cover with an inch of water. Add a dash of salt. Cook on the steam setting for 12 minutes. Release the steam right away and drain. Follow the remainder of the recipe as written.