Our Herbed Mushroom Gravy is the smooth, savory topping your Thanksgiving mashed potatoes have been yearning for.
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Warm the vegetable broth in a saucepan over low heat.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of vegan butter in a deep skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Fold in the chopped mushrooms and stir to coat in the vegan butter. Continue cooking over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft and have released some of their juices.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, stirring consistently, until the flour turns light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Pour in ½ cup of warm vegetable broth to deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape the stuck-on bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the thyme and oregano.
- Once the mixture has thickened, stir in another ½ cup of vegetable broth and continue to simmer over medium heat. You’ll know it’s time to add more broth when you can drag a wooden spoon through the mixture and it separates. Repeat until you’ve used all of the vegetable broth.
- After you’ve added the last of the broth, reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer for 10 minutes, or until the gravy has reached your desired consistency. Remove from heat and season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve warm.