These vegan Potato Latkes were inspired by traditional latkes enjoyed during Hanukkah. They're perfectly crisp on the outside and soft inside!
- 1½ tablespoons ground flaxseed (also called flaxseed meal)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1½ pounds russet potatoes
- ½ yellow onion
- ¼ cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Several twists of black pepper
- Canola, vegetable, or grapeseed oil, for frying
- Green onion, finely chopped, for serving
- Vegan sour cream and/or applesauce, for serving
- Combine the ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl to create a flax egg. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 325F degrees and place a wire cooling rack on top of a baking sheet.
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them in half crosswise. Drape a tea towel over a mixing bowl.
- Shred the potatoes on a box grater and transfer the shreds to the tea towel. Shred the onion and add it to the tea towel to join the shredded potato.
- Lift up the ends of the tea towel and twist to squeeze as much liquid as possible from the shredded potato and onion (I extracted ½ cup of liquid). Pour off the liquid and transfer the potato and onion to the bowl.
- Add the matzo meal, kosher salt, and black pepper to the potato and onion and gently mix. Then add the flax egg and work it into the ingredients.
- Warm a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the skillet.
- Scoop golf ball sized amounts (about 2 tablespoons) of the potato mixture into the skillet and press down with a spatula to flatten. With latkes this size, you should get about 16. For thinner, crispier potato latkes, use half the amount for each (you should get 30 to 32).
- Working in batches, cook the potato latkes for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until browned and crispy. Add more oil to the skillet between batches as needed.
- Place the wire cooling rack/baking sheet in the oven. As you finish a round of potato latkes, transfer them to the cooling rack/baking sheet in a single layer.
- Top the potato latkes with finely chopped green onion and serve with vegan sour cream and/or applesauce.
- Reheat leftover potato latkes in a cast iron skillet until warm and crispy.
- Serving size is four latkes.
- Nutrition information does not include vegan sour cream or applesauce.
Keywords: vegan latke recipe, easy latke recipe