This Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Pasta and Spinach would make a great first course or satisfying lunch on a cozy fall day.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin pureé
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 5 ounces ditalini pasta
- 3 ounces of baby spinach, chopped
- Freshly cracked black pepper, for serving
- Warm the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and saute for 3 minutes, until soft.
- Combine the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle the spices over the onion and saute for a minute more.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pot. Add the pumpkin, diced tomatoes, and cashews. Bring the soup to a simmer and adjust the heat to maintain a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the ditalini until al dente. Drain, rinse, and return the pasta to the pot. Toss with a teaspoon of olive oil to prevent the pasta from sticking.
- Remove the soup from heat and allow it to cool slightly. Carefully ladle the soup into your blender and blend until lump-free, working in batches until all of the soup is velvety and smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin soup back into the pot. Add the spinach and half of the pasta and stir to combine.
- Ladle the pumpkin soup into bowls or mugs and top each with another scoop of pasta and a few twists of black pepper. Enjoy warm.
Keywords: pumpkin soup, vegan pumpkin soup, dairy free pumpkin soup