This Crispy Baked Falafel recipe is perfect for meal prep. Bake a batch over the weekend and enjoy for lunch throughout the week!
- 1 cup dry chickpeas, soaked 24 hours (2 cups once soaked)
- ½ yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley, leaves and stems
- ½ bunch of fresh cilantro, leaves and stems
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour (or gluten-free all purpose baking flour)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Pickled red onions
- Tabbouleh salad
- Pita bread or flatbread
- Fresh arugula
- Crispy fried onions
- Tahini sauce
- Drain and rinse the soaked chickpeas and transfer them to the bowl of a food processor. Add the onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, jalapeño, salt, cumin, and coriander to the bowl and twist on the lid.
- Run the food processor until the chickpeas have broken down into a fine meal and the ingredients are well combined. You may need to pause and scrape down the sides of the bowl halfway through.
- Scoop the chickpea mixture into a mixing bowl and stir in the baking powder and flour. Place the bowl of falafel batter in the refrigerator for at least an hour to firm up.
- Preheat your oven to 375F degrees. Pull out a rimmed baking sheet and pour in the olive oil, tilting to coat the entire surface.
- Use a spoon to scoop balls of the falafel batter about the size of golf balls (roughly 2 tablespoons each if you want to measure precisely). Roll the balls between your hands and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet. Use the palm of your hand or a spatula to flatten each falafel piece slightly.
- Bake the falafel for 25 minutes, then flip each piece over and bake 10 minutes more. When done, the falafel will be browned and crispy on both sides. Transfer the falafel to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Enjoy the falafel on pita bread with hummus, tabbouleh, pickled red onion, and arugula, in a salad, or on a mezze platter.
- Serving size = 3 pieces
- Prep time does not include the 24 hours required to soak the chickpeas
- Nutrition info does not include serving suggestions