This Cucumber and Melon Salad with Basil is a cool, refreshing, and hydrating side for all of your summer barbeques and picnics.
- 2 large cucumbers (organic preferred)
- 1 ripe, sweet cantaloupe
- Small handful of fresh basil or Thai basil, for serving
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon agave
- Pinch of salt
- Peel the cucumbers into a stripe pattern and slice in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and then slice the cucumbers into ½-inch moon shapes. Add the cucumber to a large serving bowl.
- Cut the cantaloupe in half and scoop out the seeds. Use a melon baller to create cantaloupe spheres (I used the smaller side of my melon baller) and place them in the serving bowl.
- To make the dressing, whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste and adjust flavors to your liking. It should be a nice balance of acidic and sweet.
- Drain any juice that has collected in the bottom of the serving bowl. Drizzle the cucumber and melon with the dressing. Toss to coat and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, garnish with fresh basil and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes (optional).
Keywords: vegan summer salad, cucumber salad, melon salad, easy vegan salad