Topped with vegan sour cream and fresh green onion, these Garlicky Zucchini Fritters make a fantastic summer appetizer or light lunch.
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or 2 teaspoons minced garlic from a jar)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- Few twists of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream, for topping
- Green onion, thinly sliced, for topping
- Drape a clean kitchen towel over a large bowl. Grate the zucchini and onion on a box grater and scoop into the towel. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt and toss; allow the grated veggies to sit for 10 minutes.
- Twist the top of the towel shut and begin squeezing moisture from the zucchini and onion. When you think you’re done, keep squeezing! It’s an arm workout, but you want to release as much liquid as possible.
- Combine the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set it aside to firm up, about 3 minutes. It should be very goopy and sticky when set.
- Spill the zucchini and onion into a large mixing bowl and add the garlic, flour, black pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt. When the flax egg is set, add that to the bowl and use your hands to mix everything together.
- Form the zucchini mixture into patties about ½ inch thick and set them aside on a plate. You should be able to make 10 to 12. Line another plate with a few paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. To make sure the oil is hot enough, add a little fleck of zucchini - it should sizzle on contact. Begin cooking the zucchini fritters in batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until brown and crisp. Transfer to the paper towel-lined plate to soak up any excess oil.
- Serve the zucchini fritters immediately with a dollop of vegan sour cream and thinly sliced green onion.
We used Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Sour Cream to calculate the nutrition information.