Adapted from http://www.cooksillustrated.com
- 5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, sliced ⅛ inch thick (about 1 cup)
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed of tough ends and cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar, plus 2 tsp.
- 14 oz. arugula (1 large bunch), washed, dried, and stemmed (about 6 cups lightly packed)
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in nonstick skillet over high heat until it just begins to smoke; stir in onion and cook until beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Add asparagus, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper; cook until asparagus is browned and tender-crisp, about 4 minutes, stirring often. Off heat, stir in beans; transfer to large plate and let cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk remaining 3 tbsp. oil, vinegar, ¼ tsp. salt, and ⅛ tsp. pepper in medium bowl until combined. In large bowl, toss arugula with 2 tbsp. dressing and divide among salad plates. Toss asparagus mixture with remaining dressing, place a portion over arugula, and serve.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 337
- Sugar: 35
- Sodium: 39
- Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 35
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 13
- Cholesterol: 0