This Beet and Citrus Salad with Mint serves as a good reminder that salads don’t have to be stuffed with leafy green vegetables.
- 2 bunches golden beets (6 to 7 medium-sized beets)
- 4 blood oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave
- Pinch of salt
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- Lime zest and blood orange zest, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425F degrees. Wash and trim the beets and wrap each in a square of aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes, until fork tender. Unwrap the beets and allow them to cool while you prep the rest of the salad.
- Use a sharp knife to slice off the top and bottom from each blood orange. Then use your knife to carefully cut away the peel, leaving as much fruit in-tact as you can (see video above). Slice the blood orange into ¼-inch rounds and set aside. Repeat this process with the grapefruit.
- Next, make the salad dressing. Combine the olive oil, lime juice, agave, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl and whisk together. Adjust the flavors to taste.
- Once they’re cool enough to handle, peel the beets and slice them into wedges. Add the beets to a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the lime dressing.
- Divide the blood orange, grapefruit, and golden beets between four plates and drizzle with remaining dressing. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and lime and blood orange zest. Enjoy fresh.
Keywords: citrus salad recipe