My mother always insisted on the black-eyed peas for New Year’s Day. Heaven forbid we got off on the wrong foot the first day of the year. This year, the clouds will part, the sun will shine and lady luck will be in my corner — we’re making a vegan black-eyed peas recipe worthy of ringing in the new year. A little skillet cornbread and some simple-but-brilliant wilted chard with onion, and you’ll be ready to share in the luck yourself.
And just a little trivia for you: black-eyed peas really aren’t peas at all, they’re in fact beans. Shocking, right? So make your beans and stop off for a lottery scratcher on the way home. Might just be your lucky day.
Note: If you prefer, you can soak the beans ahead of time. You can do a quick soak or traditional. For either, you'll want to rinse and sort through the peas for any stones or bad peas. For the traditional method, cover peas with 2 to 3 inches of water and soak overnight. For a quick soak, cover with 2 to 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil, turn off the heat and let beans sit for 2 hours before using.Print
- 1 ½ cups dried black-eyed peas, washed, and soaked if you like to speed cooking time.
- 2 quarts vegetable stock or water
- 14 oz. smoked tofu, cut into cubes
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups long-grain brown rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- tabasco sauce to taste
- Put peas, stock, tofu, onions, and garlic in a large pot. Bring to boil, then lower the heat to a slow simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about an hour.
- Once the beans are soft, make sure you have about 3 cups of liquid left in the pot. If not, add water or stock. Add the rice, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until rice is ready, about 20 minutes.
- If any liquid remains, turn the heat up to high for a few minutes to boil it off. Fluff the rice with a fork. Season with Tabasco to taste.
- Replace the lid. Let the dish rest and flavors mingle for 5-15 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 373
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 749
- Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 62
- Fiber: 11
- Protein: 20
- Cholesterol: 0