- 1 cup TVP
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 14-oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large or 2 small mangos, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. bourbon
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Vegan sour cream and cilantro, for serving
- Boil a cup of water and pour it over the TVP in a bowl. Let it stand while you prep your other ingredients, or about 5-10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the TVP to the onion, jalapeño and garlic. Stir to thoroughly combine. Season the mixture with chili powder and paprika and continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the diced tomatoes, black beans and mango to the stockpot and stir to combine. If the mixture looks thick, add water to thin until you’ve reached your desired consistency (I used ½ cup).
- Stir in the bourbon and brown sugar. Season chili with salt, black pepper and a pinch of cayenne, if desired. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 35-40 minutes, until the mango is tender.
- Serve immediately and garnish with vegan sour cream and cilantro. You can also freeze the chili in a covered, airtight container or heavy-duty freezer bags for up to 6 months.