Cajun Cornbread Casserole
Recipe adapted from Everyday Happy Herbivore
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons raw sugar (optional)
- 3/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan or casserole dish.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, celery, garlic and bell pepper over high heat until onion is translucent, bell pepper slices are tender and all of the water has evaporated, about 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and mix in 1 to 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning, tomatoes, corn and kidney beans, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk cornmeal, baking powder and salt. You can also add 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar if you like a sweet cornbread topping. Then stir in nondairy milk and applesauce. It should be thick but spreadable, like hummus, and not dry.
- Pour bean mixture into your baking dish, and pat down firmly with a spatula. Spread cornbread mixture on top, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cornbread is a deep golden, cracked and firm to the touch. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 14
- Sodium: 787
- Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 73
- Fiber: 11
- Protein: 13
- Cholesterol: 0