Who says vegans can’t enjoy quiche! This is the perfect weekend brunch.
When you’re making this chickpea and vegetable quiche, if buckwheat flour isn’t available, just substitute extra whole wheat flour. Also, when your making the garbanzo (chickpea) flour mixture to pour over the vegetables, you may need to add more garbanzo bean flour to get the right consistency. It should resemble pancake batter.
Chickpea and Vegetable Quiche
Adapted from https://bittersweetblog.com/
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8
Whole Wheat Crust:
- 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup barley flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped into half-rounds
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped into short, thin strips
- 1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 tbsp. potato starch
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage, powdered
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350°, and lightly grease a 9-inch round fluted tart pan with removable bottom or plain pie pan.
- The easiest way to make the crust is in a food processor, but if you don’t have one, you can also make it by hand. Just combine both flours and salt in a large bowl, and add in the oil. Mix well, and then drizzle in water until it comes together in a cohesive dough. Otherwise, you can just toss everything in the food processor, and drizzle in water until it comes together in a cohesive dough.
- Move the dough into your prepared tart pan or pie plate, and use your fingertips to press it evenly into the bottom and up the sides. If it seems sticky, lightly moisten your hands to make it easier to handle. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, just to help it set up a bit and very, very lightly brown. Let cool.
- For the filling, toss your chopped vegetables, scallions, and minced garlic together to achieve and even distribution of everything, and then transfer it into your par-baked crust.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the chickpea/garbanzo flour, potato starch, nutritional yeast, salt, herbs, spices, and baking powder. Pour in the vegetable stock or water and oil, and whisk until smooth. The consistency should resemble pancake batter. Pour this batter on top of your veggies situated in the quiche pan, making sure to fill all of the gaps. Lightly tap the pan on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until the filling appears set and every so lightly golden brown on top. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 302
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 0