Recipe adapted from the Conscious Cook
- 2 1/4 cups white spelt flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup chunky all-natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup cold earth balance
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 cup hazelnut milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 10-inch square pan. (If you don’t have one, use a 9-inch pan and bake a couple of minutes longer).
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, combine the flour, brown sugar, peanut butter, Earth Balance, and salt, blending at low speed until the mixture form fine crumbs. Reserve 1 cup of the crumbs for the topping and set aside.
- In a small bowl, with a small whisk, whip the flaxseeds with 1/3 cup water until frothy. The mixture should resemble egg whites in texture. Add the whipped flaxseeds, hazelnut milk, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla to the crumb mixture. Stir well to combine, but do not overwork.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smoothing the top, and sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature, then cut and serve.