This is a super easy recipe for curried chickpea salad that will make your glad you brought your lunch to work and so easy to prepare in the morning, you won't hesitate. You can easily make it the night before and it's just fine and dandy to sit in the refrigerator overnight or even a couple of days. And if you're trying to avoid soy, use a soy-free vegan mayo, like Just Mayo or use hummus instead. This recipe makes enough chickpea salad for about four sandwiches. You could also enjoy it with crackers, toast or on lettuce-type salad.
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 carrots (about ½ cup), diced
- 2 scallions (about ½ cup), sliced thin
- ¼ cup raisins or dried currants
- ¼ cup raw or toasted cashews
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt and pepper to taste
- Combine vegan mayo with lemon juice, curry and garlic powder in a small bowl. Add salt to taste. Mix it all up until it's nice and smooth and set aside.
- In a slightly larger bowl, mash up about half of your chickpeas with a fork or the back of a wooden spoon. Then add in the carrots, scallions, raisins and cashews. Add the mayo mixture and mix well to combine. Add more salt, pepper or curry to taste.