Southern California is in the midst of a hot flash. Drag out the kiddie pool, glom on your scum screen and blend up something COLD. With weekend temperatures in the 80s, apparently we’ve skipped spring and gone straight to summer. Mid-March has delivered us ice cream weather, and by all means we will abide with nothing but enthusiasm and a brilliant two ingredient recipe. We call it the Chocolate Banana Swirl. Perfect if you have a pile of ripe bananas hanging out on your counter. Just cut up the bananas, freeze and swirl with your favorite flavors. We have some real chocoholics under our roof, so we add a few tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa, but you could do anything — frozen strawberries, blueberries, a little vanilla extract. If you want to make it a little more indulgent, mini vegan chocolate chips, crushed Oreos (they’re totally, accidentally vegan), a little vanilla coconut yogurt or a scoop of peanut butter. Top with roasted coconut chips, chopped nuts or fresh fruit.
Our second runner-up and a down right stellar combo is the banana, blueberry, vanilla and almond butter swirl. If you decide to add a nut butter, wait until you have everything pretty well incorporated in the blender, otherwise it just gloms to the bottom and sides of the blender.
Frozen Chocolate Banana Swirl
- 4 Bananas, cut into 1 inch pieces and frozen
- 2 tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa
- Nondairy Milk, just a splash to get things moving in your blender
Optional Mixins, from most to least healthy
- Hemp Seeds
- Vegan Protein Powder
- Almond Butter or Other Nut Butter
- Coconut Yogurt
- Mini Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Nuts
- Fresh Fruit
- Roasted Coconut Chips
- Drop all your ingredients in the blender and blend until creamy. If you over do it with the blender or the nondairy milk, just pop it in the freezer for up to an hour. The natural consistency of this is more like soft serve. If you want something more scoop-able, use the freezer method as well. Anything after an hour or so in the freezer and you’ll have a giant popsicle and not in a good way.