This Greens Quiche recipe was adapted from a great article in the New York Times about vegan chef Lindsay S. Nixon. If you have a chance, check it out here. If you don’t have a pie dish handy, a 8 x 8 inch square pan will do just fine.Print
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 8 oz. mushrooms (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (granulated)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (granulated)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups chopped greens (kale, chard, collards), about 2 small bunches
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a shallow 9-inch pie dish and set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients, except greens and cooked mushrooms, in a food processor or blender, process until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in greens and mushrooms, and transfer mixture to the pie dish.
- Using a spatula, spread the mixture around so it’s even on top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden and the center is firm (not mushy).
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing (serving at room temperature is best).
- Make ahead: You can make and store the mixture in an airtight container until you’re ready to bake, or bake the quiche a day or two ahead of time and gently reheat in your oven on warm for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 131
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 291
- Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 11
- Cholesterol: 0