These Herbed Mushrooms on Garlic Toast are perfect for a savory breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even a snack.
For the garlic butter
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
For the mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lb baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped (plus more, for serving)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 6 thick slices of sourdough bread
- Preheat broiler to 450F. Combine the vegan butter (we like Earth Balance) and garlic in a microwave safe dish. Heat for 20 seconds, or until the vegan butter is melted. Set garlic butter aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they soften and begin to release their juices, about 7 minutes. Add the fresh thyme and parsley and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid has reduced by a third, about 5 minutes. At this time, pop your bread in the broiler. After 5 minutes, flip the bread and cook the other side for 3 minutes.
- To the mushrooms, add a tablespoon of whole wheat flour and continue to cook over medium-low until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. If the mixture gets too thick for your liking, add more vegetable broth or water 1 tablespoon at a time. In the last minute of cooking, stir in the apple cider vinegar. Remove from heat.
- Remove the bread from the broiler and brush the tops with the garlic butter you prepared earlier. Add a heaping scoop of the mushroom mixture to the top of each piece of garlic toast. Garnish with additional fresh parsley and serve warm.