Adapted from Cook's Illustrated
- 6 cups rustic Italian or French bread, cut or torn into 1-in. pieces (1/2 to 1 lb.)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. tomatoes, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced thin
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 can (15 oz.) white beans, drained and rinsed
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400°F. Toss bread pieces with 2 tbsp. oil and 1/4 tsp. salt; arrange bread in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Toast bread pieces until just starting to turn light golden, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Gently toss tomatoes and 1/2 tsp. salt in large bowl. Transfer to colander and set over bowl; set aside to drain for 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Whisk remaining 6 tbsp. olive oil, vinegar, and 1/4 tsp. pepper into strained tomato juice. Add bread pieces, toss, and let stand for 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber, shallot, beans and basil to bowl with bread pieces and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 507
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 507
- Fat: 29
- Carbohydrates: 50
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 9
- Cholesterol: 0