This creamy vegan pasta is a perfect spring pasta recipe, adapted from the Barefoot Contessa. You can put it together in no time, just make sure you’ve either got some cashew cream on hand or remember to start soaking your cashews early in the day.
This recipe can easily be made with a gluten-free pasta if you have an intolerance or just want to cut back on the wheat products. Bean and lentil pastas are a great option, as they also add a lot of protein.Print
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cashew cream
- 2 lemons
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 lb. dried fusilli pasta
- 1/2 lb. baby arugula (or 2 bunches of common arugula, leaves cut in thirds)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic, and cook for 60 seconds. Remove from heat, add the cashew cream, the zest from 2 lemons, the juice of 2 lemons, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Meanwhile, cut the broccoli in florets and discard the stem. Cook the florets in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 to 5 minutes, until tender but still firm. Drain the broccoli and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the pasta, and cook according to the package directions, adding the broccoli florets to the water the last 3 minutes before the pasta is done cooking. The broccoli should be tender, but still a little firm. Drain the pasta and broccoli, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta water. Set aside. Immediately add the cream mixture and warm over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, until most of the sauce has been absorbed in the pasta making sure not so scorch the sauce. If the sauce is too thick, use the extra pasta water to loosen the mixture. Pour the hot pasta into a large bowl, add the arugula and tomatoes. Toss well, season to taste, and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 625
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 37
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 100
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 22
- Cholesterol: 0