This marinated beet salad is an Alice Water’s classic. You can enjoy them alone or use them to top a fresh spinach salad. To mix it up a bit, try substituting fresh orange juice for some of the vinegar and toss with grated orange zest.
- 1 lb. beets (red, Chioggia, golden, or white)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (red wine, sherry, or white wine vinegar)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- Trim the greens to ½ inch from 1 pound beets. Wash thoroughly. Put them in a baking dish with a little water (enough to cover the bottom of the dish to a depth of ⅛ inch) and sprinkle with salt.
- Cover tightly and bake the beets in a 350°F oven until they can be easily pierced with a sharp knife, 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on their size. Uncover and cool. Cut off the tops and roots and slip off the skins. Cut the peeled beets into small wedges or ¼-inch dice and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon vinegar and salt. Let stand for a few minutes to allow the beets to absorb the flavor. Taste and add more salt or vinegar as needed. Toss with 1 to 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil. Serve alone, or with other salads.