- 2 pounds pearl tomatoes on the vine
- 1/2 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A few twists of black pepper
- 1 or 2 ripe avocados, diced (depending on your preference and the size of your avocados)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Quarter the pearl tomatoes and place them in a large bowl. Peel the red onion and cut it in half from tip to root. Place the flat part of the onion on your cutting board and carefully slice it into thin half moons. Add the onion to the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Combine the chopped garlic, lime juice, olive oil, agave, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine. The marinade should be salty, tangy, and just a tad sweet - adjust the ingredients until balanced.
- Pour the marinade over the sliced tomatoes and onion and gently toss to coat. Marinate the tomatoes in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, drain any excess liquid from the tomatoes. Tip: if you’re serving this salad with cooked quinoa, couscous, or pasta, reserve the marinade for extra dressing. Transfer the marinated tomatoes and onions to a serving platter and add the diced avocado. Top with chopped cilantro and serve fresh.