This is the perfect fluffy, flavorful Mexican rice to serve on taco night or fold into a burrito. If you’re short on time or a ripe tomato, substitute 3/4 cup of diced canned tomatoes.
Recipe from http://www.cooksillustrated.com/
- 1 ripe tomato (about 6 ounces), cored and quartered
- 1/2 medium onion, preferably white, peeled, trimmed of root end,and quartered
- 1 medium jalapeño chile
- 1 cups long grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
- 1 cups low-sodium faux chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoons table salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350° F. Process tomatoes and onion in food processor until smooth and thoroughly pureed, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl if necessary. Transfer mixture to liquid measuring cup; you should have 1 cup (if necessary, spoon off excess so that volume equals 1 cup). Remove ribs and seeds from 1 jalapeños and discard; mince flesh and set aside.
- Place rice in large fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear, about 1 1/2 minutes. Shake rice vigorously in strainer to remove all excess water.
- Heat oil in heavy-bottomed oven safe 12-inch straight-sided sauté pan or Dutch oven with tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat, 1 to 2 minutes. Drop 3 or 4 grains rice in oil; if grains sizzle, oil is ready. Add rice and fry, stirring frequently, until rice is light golden and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and seeded minced jalapeños; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in pureed tomatoes and onions, broth, tomato paste, and salt; increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Cover pan and transfer to oven; bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 25 to 30 minutes, stirring well after 15 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 270
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 677
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 42
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 0