Most often I serve this Mushrooms and Tofu in Paprika Cream over pasta, but it’s also great with brown rice. Until recently, we made this dish with vegan sour cream, but in an effort to cut back on processed foods and simplify, we swapped it for coconut cream and the results were perfection!
You can also swap out the tofu for seitan. If you decide to go with the seitan, add it to the pan after you’re finished cooking the mushrooms.Print
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut cream
- 1 carton firm tofu, drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced about 1/3 inch thick
- juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild (sweet) paprika
- 1/3 cup white wine or sherry
- 2/3 cup water or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill or tarragon
- 8 ounces short pasta, like a farfalle
- Chill the cocnut cream in the refridegerator overnight, so the liquid seperates from the cream.
- Dice the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Set a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and brush lightly with oil. Add the tofu and cook until golden on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn to brown the other sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then remove to a dish.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. When it’s warm, add the onion and mushrooms, squeezing half the lemon over the mushrooms so they keep their color. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and the onions are soft, about 8 minutes. Add the tofu and gently mix together.
- Sprinkle over the flour and paprika, then season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Turn the mixture to incorporate the flour, and add the wine, let it bubble up, then reduce until syrupy. Add the water, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Check once or twice to ensure there’s enough liquid to make a little sauce. If not add more water or stock as needed. Taste for salt. Cook the pasta until al dente, then drain and place on a warmed platter.
- Rewarm the sauce, if necessary, then turn off the heat, add the fresh herbs and stir in the coconut cream and remaining lemon juice. Pour over the pasta and serve.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 449
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 323
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 56
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 19
- Cholesterol: 0