This Quick Pasta with Tomato Sauce can easily be made with a gluten-free pasta if you have an intolerance or just want to cut back on the wheat products.
The regular Earth Balance is soy based, but there is a soy-free product if you’re looking to avoid soy.Print
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup grated onion, from 1 medium onion
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Table salt
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- 1 pound dry pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat Earth Balance in medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add onion, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and sugar; increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in basil and oil; season with salt and pepper. Serve.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water. Drain; add pasta to sauce.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 212
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 67
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 0