- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped raw almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oat or wheat bran
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, unfiltered apple juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with vegetable oil spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flour, bran, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom.
- In another bowl, whisk together honey, apple juice, vanilla, and oil until the honey is thoroughly incorporated. Add the orange zest and orange juice.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix well. Spread the granola evenly over the baking sheet and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, checking every 15 or so minutes. When the granola begins to brown, stir and turn over gently with a spatula. Take care that the outside edges do not burn. Your house or apartment should, by this point, smell spectacular. When golden and dry, scrape onto a cool baking sheet and set aside to cool. Granola will crisp as it cools. Store in an airtight container, preferably in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 622
- Sugar: 33
- Sodium: 2
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 99
- Fiber: 15
- Protein: 19
- Cholesterol: 0