For the potatoes:
- 2 pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8” rounds
- 2/3 cup earth balance
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk (soy, almond, or coconut)
- 4 tbsp. shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 c. red or yellow potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 c. carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2/3 c. onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 c. water
- 1/2 c. raw cashews, soaked for at least 6 hours
- 4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne, optional
For the topping:
- 4 tablespoons melted Earth Balance
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a medium saucepan, add shallots, chopped potatoes, carrots, onion, and water, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
- Add the cashews, salt, garlic, 2/3 cup Earth Balance, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, paprika and cayenne to a blender or food processor along with the cooked vegetables and cooking water. Blend until smooth and creamy, gradually adding the non-dairy milk. Warning: The sauce is going to taste very salty at this point. Don’t panic! The raw potatoes will absorb a lot of the salt during the baking process.
- Transfer half of the sliced potatoes into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Pour half of the sauce evenly over the potatoes. Layer the rest of the potatoes on top of the sauce and pour the remaining sauce on the second layer of potatoes.
- Now make the topping. Combine the melted Earth Balance, Panko breadcrumbs, and nutritional yeast in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Once the Earth Balance is completely absorbed, sprinkle the topping over the potatoes.
- Bake the potatoes until bubbly and the top begins to brown, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 216
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 924
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0