Corn: Is there any other crop more decidedly American? In the Midwest, corn is readily available (and extremely affordable) all summer into early fall. Needless to say, I’ve seized every opportunity this year to enjoy those sweet, plump, juicy kernels – and I don’t plan on slowing down.
While many would argue that corn is best when grilled to perfection and slathered with vegan butter, I prefer to get a tad more creative with this staple veggie. There’s so much you can do with corn, especially as fall approaches and we get ready to start eating warm comfort foods again.
When it comes to buying corn, it’s best to look for fresh stuff that’s still in the husk. The husks should be green and not too dry, and the kernels should be plump and tight. While it’s ideal to eat corn the same day you buy it, you can store it loose in the fridge (with the husk in tact) for up to two days.
Corn provides us with a healthy dose of antioxidants and is a great source of dietary fiber. Recent research has shown that corn can support the growth of friendly bacteria in our large intestine, among other digestive benefits. What’s more, corn has been associated with better blood sugar control in people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
As you savor the last few weeks of summer, we suggest trying these delicious vegan corn recipes!
Author: Well Vegan
- Sea salt
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced Vidalia onions
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 celery stalk, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, de-ribbed and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 dried chipotle pepper
- 5 cups faux chicken stock
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- Kernels from 6 ears of corn
- 1 ½ cups thick cashew cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. minced chives (optional)
- ½ cup diced tomato (optional)
Click here to get the full recipe and instructions from Well Vegan.
Savory Vegan Corn and Pepper Breakfast Muffins
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1 tsp. avocado oil
- ⅓ large red onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ⅓ fire roasted Poblano pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground sea salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground chili powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup almond milk
Click here to get the full recipe and instructions from Veganosity.
Vegan Slow Cooker Fresh Corn Risotto
Author: Healthy Slow Cooking
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup Arborio rice
- 1 medium ear of corn, kernels removed and cob cut into 4 pieces
- 3 2-inch sprigs thyme
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra chopped basil, for garnish
Click here to get the full recipe and instructions from Healthy Slow Cooking.