I have a confession – peaches are not my go-to summer fruit. Strawberries? Yes. Watermelon? Absolutely! Peaches, though loaded with flavor and nutrients, always seem to be an afterthought in my vegan meal plan. That is, until I’m at a barbecue and find juicy little peach chunks hidden in a fruit salad. Then I kick myself for not using them in every possible way while they’re in season.
Don’t let this be you!
Not only are peaches juicy and delicious, they also happen to be really good for you. A large peach has fewer than 70 calories and contains 3 grams of fiber. Peaches are also a good source of vitamins A and C. What’s more, peaches have been shown to ward off obesity-related diseases such as diabetes, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease.
Honestly, I can’t say enough good things about peaches. The lone downside is that they’re only in peak season from June through August. I suggest loading up on them while you can! If you’re not quite sure how to incorporate peaches into your vegan meal plan this summer, start with the two recipes listed below. Though the first one may (definitely) contain some ingredients you aren’t yet familiar with, don’t panic. With a quick trip to your local health food store you’ll be in smoothie-making heaven in no time.
Super Peach Smoothie
From: Well Vegan
- 3 cups fresh peaches, chopped
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. goji berries
- 1 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a blender, puree until smooth, gradually adding the coconut milk to loosen the mixture.
Grilled Vanilla Peaches
From: Well Vegan
- 8 peaches
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. light-brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp. water
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. coarse salt
- 1 quart vanilla non-dairy ice cream
- Peel, halve, and pit peaches.
- Preheat grill to high. Combine lemon juice and vegetable oil in a bowl. Add peaches; toss to coat. Place peaches (with liquid) on a large piece of parchment-lined foil.
- Stir together brown sugar, water, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Brush over peaches. Fold foil to form a packet, crimping edges to seal. Grill, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Slice peaches, and divide among 8 bowls. Top with scoops of ice cream.