- 2 to 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popping corn
- 2-4 tbsp. olive oil or nondairy butter, optional
- Salt (and other seasonings from the list that follows if you like)
- Put the vegetable oil in a large, deep pan (6 quarts or so). Turn the heat to medium, add 3 kernels of corn, and cover.
- When the kernels pop, remove the lid and add the remaining corn. Cover and shake the pot, holding the lid on. Cook, shaking the pot occasionally, until the popping sound stops after about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the nondairy butter or gently warm the olive oil if you’re using it.
- Turn the popcorn into a large bowl; drizzle with nondairy butter or olive oil if you like, and sprinkle with salt while tossing the popcorn. Serve immediately.
- Use the optional nondairy butter or oil and as you melt or heat it, add a tablespoon minced garlic and cook until soft and turning golden. Strain the garlic bits out as you pour the butter over the popcorn.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 12
- Sodium: 52
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 38
- Fiber: 12
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 0