- 4 cups vegetable broth or stock, plus one cup water
- 1 tsp. loosely packed saffron threads
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain rice, such as Arborio
- 8 ounces smoke-flavored baked tofu, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a saucepan, bring the broth and water to a simmer over medium heat. Add the saffron, remove from heat, cover, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan over medium-high, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper. Sauté until aromatic and slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the kale, fresh tomatoes, the turmeric, and 1/2 tsp of salt, and cook until the vegetables start to stick to the bottom of the pan, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the hot broth mixture to the pan and stir to scrape any browned bits from the bottom. Add the uncooked rice, the tofu, and 1/2 tsp of black pepper to the pan, stir and cook until all the broth is absorbed. Add the remaining broth about a cup at a time. After each addition, simmer until the broth is mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes. Adjust heat as needed to prevent scorching, but do not stir the rice.
- After about 20 minutes, the rice should be mostly tender but slightly undercooked inside, and there should be a little broth left in the pan. Turn off the heat, add the peas, and cover. Let it steam for about 10 minutes, and then add the parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 476
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 1202
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 80
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 19
- Cholesterol: 0